Kentwood Players presents
Ken Ludwig's Baskerville: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
by Ken Ludwig
Directed by Susan Stangl
Mar 17 - Apr 8, 2023
KEN LUDWIG'S BASKERVILLE: A SHERLOCK HOLMES MYSTERY is presented by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc., a Concord Theatricals Company.
Get your deerstalker cap on — the play’s afoot! Comedic genius Ken Ludwig (Lend Me a Tenor, Moon Over Buffalo) transforms Arthur Conan Doyle’s classic The Hound of the Baskervilles into a murderously funny adventure with Sherlock Holmes on the case. The male heirs of the Baskerville line are being dispatched one by one. To find their ingenious killer, Holmes and Watson must brave the desolate moors before a family curse dooms its newest heir. Watch as our intrepid investigators try to escape a dizzying web of clues, silly accents, disguises, and deceit as five actors deftly portray more than forty characters. Does a wild hellhound prowl the moors of Devonshire? Can our heroes discover the truth in time? Join the fun and see how far from elementary the truth can be!
The Character Breakdown
- SHERLOCK HOLMES
- Highly intelligent, confident, charismatic, quick-witted, obsessive. Thinks very highly of his close friend Watson. A sophisticated mind who savors adventure and an intriguing mystery, and has a manic gleam of mischief in his eyes. A mind that works overtime.
- DOCTOR WATSON
- Smart, grounded, full of heart and wonder, lives to have adventures and assist his close friend Holmes. We see the play through his eyes. The heart and soul of the play.
- THREE ACTORS PLAYING MULTIPLE ROLES USING MULTIPLE ACCENTS
- ACTOR ONE
- Multiple roles (over 10), including STAPLETON (seemingly geeky butterfly lover who conceals a psychopath within), BARRYMORE (mournful caretaker of Baskerville Hall), MILKER (scrappy Dickensian urchin boy), LUCY (deaf, loving wife of WILSON), DR. MORTIMER (elegant, friendly, passionate), a nosy Castilian DESK CLERK and the Scottish DR. MCCANN.
- ACTOR TWO
- Multiple roles, including SIR HUGO BASKERVILLE (a brutal, cruel Cavalier), WILSON (exuberant, hearty head of messenger office), SIR HENRY BASKERVILLE (young Texan relation to Baskervilles, open-hearted, earnest, ready for adventure and to fall in love), INSPECTOR LESTRADE (cocky police inspector) and DAISY (Holmes’ scullery maid).
- ACTOR THREE
- Multiple roles, including MISS STAPLETON (STAPLETON’s initially secretive, scared “sister” who passionately falls in love with SIR HENRY), CARTWRIGHT (scrappy Dickensian urchin boy), MRS. BARRYMORE (severe, humorless Swedish caretaker of Baskerville Hall), MRS. HUDSON (older, maternal housekeeper for HOLMES), German HOTEL MAID and Irish NURSE MALLOY.
- BACKSTAGE CREW
- Needed for fast costume and set stages as well as a few comic bits and appearances onstage. No lines to learn but all the fun of being an integral part of the show.
Watch the Audition page
for audition details.