Kentwood Players presents
Book and Lyrics by Lisa Kron
Music by Jeanine Tesori
Based on the graphic novel by Alison Bechdel
Directed by Kathy Dershimer
Musical Direction by Cheryl Gaul
Produced by Jenny Boone and Harold Dershimer
May 13 - Jun 12, 2022
FUN HOME is presented by special arrangement with Samuel French, Inc., a Concord Theatricals Company.
Fun Home, winner of Best Musical from New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award, Obie Award, Lucille Lortel Award and also, Outer Cities Circle Award, as well as the 2015 Tony Award for Best Musical, Best Original Score, and Best Book of a Musical, is a refreshingly honest, wholly original musical about seeing your parents through grown-up eyes. When her father dies unexpectedly, graphic novelist Alison dives deep into her past to tell the story of the volatile, brilliant, one-of-a-kind man whose temperament and secrets defined her family and her life. Moving between past and present, Alison relives her unique childhood playing at the family’s Bechdel Funeral Home, her growing understanding of her own sexuality, and the looming, unanswerable questions about her father’s hidden desires.
The Character Breakdown
- 40-45, cartoonist, writer. Both self-aware and self-conscious, Reflective, appreciating both joy and sadness.
- Mezzo-soprano with strong low range. Belt - Non dancer
- Medium Alison
- 18 - 20, a college student, will also play a Susan Dey. Smart, awkward, confused - a romantic. Realizing and embracing that she is lesbian.
- Mezzo-soprano. Belt - Dancing required
- Small Alison
- 8-11 years old. Intelligent, confident and bossy. Precocious.
- Alto. Light belt - Dancing required.
- Bruce Bechdel
- 40+, Alison's father, Depressed and self-loathing, hurtful, closeted gay. Husband and father of 3 - likes the role, but not the rules.
- Baritone, - Dancing required.
- Helen Bechdel
- 40+, Alison's mother. Depressed and self-deluded, unhappy, cold. Wife and mother of 3 - has compromised herself into marginalism.
- Mezzo-soprano. Strong mix - Dancing required.
- Christian Bechdel
- 10-13 years old - Alison's brother. Smart, funny and independent.
- Singing and dancing required
- John Bechdel
- 6-9 years old - Alison's brother. Energenic, imaginative and eager to please.
- Singing and dancing required.
- 20s - customer/high school student/college student/imaginary TV char. One actor plays all 4 roles.
- Tenor - Dancing required
- 19-21, a college student/will also play a Susan Dey. Medium Alison's girlfriend. Smart, confident.
- Alto. Comfortable with harmony lines - Dancing required.
Watch the Audition page
for audition details.